Sony BRAVIA XBR55HX929 55-Inch LED HDTV with Built-in WiFi Review
I'm happy the price dropped by around a thousand over the last month or two, because for the money you will not find a better LED tv, I have been looking for months.
For starters, I returned my third 55HX820 back to amazon because of damage or defect, who knows, or maybe it was Sony's QC. Now that I've had this unit for a couple of weeks I am glad I things turned out the way they did. The problem I felt was with one of the shippers Amazon contracts with, since they weren't handling or setting up these TVs properly.
The picture quality, build quality, and finishing are outstanding, and there is a metal bezzel wrapped around the frame that gives it a nice touch, you wouldn't notice it though unless you're standing close to the unit. The stand is also among the nicest I've ever seen, I have an issue with the crow's feet stands of Samsung's LEDs like the 8000, I was never able to look past these esthetic nuances, but if you're staring at something you are paying 2-3 k for on a daily basis, these little things will begin to matter.
Now for the picture quality; having seen the sony, samsung, and LG flagship TVs side by side at best buy, I was leaning towards sony from the start, samsung's picture struck me as more of a "home movie" type delivery, and LG's, as nice and as sharp as they are, just paled a bit compared with the Sony, and since they're much cheaper, you can always argue that little added extra screen and display quality may not be enough to justify the disproportionately higher price tag. This argument obviously didn't influence my purchase decision.
Yes I have issues with glare when watching during the day, and the UN user-friendly remote and the internet features that could be better, but who cares, this TV delivers in the areas where it absolutely and categorically must, picture quality. I don't get it with all the bells and whistles manufacturers tout about their new LEDs, internet apps, widgets this, widgets that, keyboard on a remote??? if you're buying TVs in this price range you probably have a laptop, use it.
At the end of the day it all comes down to this: For watching movies in 2 D and 3 D (yes the 3 D works great, no issues), the XBR929 delivers quite an experience, you will know and feel where the extra money you spent has gone!
For starters, I returned my third 55HX820 back to amazon because of damage or defect, who knows, or maybe it was Sony's QC. Now that I've had this unit for a couple of weeks I am glad I things turned out the way they did. The problem I felt was with one of the shippers Amazon contracts with, since they weren't handling or setting up these TVs properly.
The picture quality, build quality, and finishing are outstanding, and there is a metal bezzel wrapped around the frame that gives it a nice touch, you wouldn't notice it though unless you're standing close to the unit. The stand is also among the nicest I've ever seen, I have an issue with the crow's feet stands of Samsung's LEDs like the 8000, I was never able to look past these esthetic nuances, but if you're staring at something you are paying 2-3 k for on a daily basis, these little things will begin to matter.
Now for the picture quality; having seen the sony, samsung, and LG flagship TVs side by side at best buy, I was leaning towards sony from the start, samsung's picture struck me as more of a "home movie" type delivery, and LG's, as nice and as sharp as they are, just paled a bit compared with the Sony, and since they're much cheaper, you can always argue that little added extra screen and display quality may not be enough to justify the disproportionately higher price tag. This argument obviously didn't influence my purchase decision.
Yes I have issues with glare when watching during the day, and the UN user-friendly remote and the internet features that could be better, but who cares, this TV delivers in the areas where it absolutely and categorically must, picture quality. I don't get it with all the bells and whistles manufacturers tout about their new LEDs, internet apps, widgets this, widgets that, keyboard on a remote??? if you're buying TVs in this price range you probably have a laptop, use it.
At the end of the day it all comes down to this: For watching movies in 2 D and 3 D (yes the 3 D works great, no issues), the XBR929 delivers quite an experience, you will know and feel where the extra money you spent has gone!
Check Prices & Learn more for
Sony BRAVIA XBR55HX929 55-Inch LED HDTV with Built-in WiFi

*** Product Information and Review : Sep 18, 2011
Sony BRAVIA XBR55HX929 55-Inch LED HDTV with Built-in WiFi
*** Product Information and Review : Sep 18, 2011